Hanauma Bay Snorkeling
A visit to Hawaii wouldn’t be complete without stopping by the “Best Beach in the United States.” Hanauma Bay (The beach and surrounding natural park get their name from two Hawaiian words: “hana” which means bay and “uma” which means curved) is internationally renowned as one the most beautiful beaches on the planet. The semi-circular volcanic crater bay is on the windward coast of Oahu and has a half-mile of pristine white sand beach. Once a volcano, Hanauma Bay is now an extinct volcano that houses turtles, spotted eagle rays and over 450 types of tropical fish. No trip to Hanauma Bay is complete without snorkeling the coral reef. This tour includes round trip transportation and all your snorkel gear you need is included as
well. So come enjoy this federally protected wildlife preserve and try
to spot all the fish Hawaii has to offer, even the Humuhumunukunukuapua’a, Hawaii’s famous state fish! Native Hawaiians
have been enjoying life on the bay for thousands of years. Records show that the Hawaiian royalty, in the 1800’s, often stayed at the bay for entertainment and fishing.
Hanauma Bay is pronounced like
“hana-OO-mah” in Hawaiian, and is one of the hottest tourist
destinations on Oahu. Spending time here is affordable, fun, and is awe
inspiring beautiful! During ancient Hawaiian times, only the royalty were allowed to come to Hanauma Bay. Now is your chance to visit the Beach of Kings whether you are snorkeling for your 1st or 50th time! Hanauma Bay is actually a submerged Volcanic Crater! Hundreds of thousands of yars ago the entire volcano blew up from it’s foundation and left a crater right near the ocean and below sea level. As a result, we now enjoy one of the most geographically protected marine sanctuaries in the world. Hana translates to ’bay’ and uma means ‘shelter.’
Hanauma Bay supports a large population of Green sea turtles, Parrot Fish, Puffers, Trumpet Fish, and of course Hawaii’s State Fish, the Humuhumunukunukuapuaa, or just Humu! And while the variety of marine life at Hanauma Bay is way to vast to even try to list, one fish you’re not gonna find are Sharks! The waters are too shallow at Hanauma Bay for sharks and bigger fish. So come out and experience one of the crowned jewels that Oahu has to offer with Hanauma Bay Snorkeling Tours! Our affordable snorkeling package ensures that you get from Waikiki to Hanauma Bay on time, that you have new set of Snorkel Gear (Mask, Snorkel and Fins), and that you have a friendly guide there to answer questions and get you started smoothly.
- Explore the underwater world at Oahu’s prime snorkeling destination
- See hundreds of colorful tropical fish and other marine life
- Learn more about Hawaii’s marine life at Hanauma Bay’s information booths and educational displays
- Where and When:
- You may select any of three options:
(1) Pick-up from Waikiki at 7:15 am and pick-up from Hanauma Bay at 12:00 pm.
(2) Pick-up from Waikiki at 8:45 am and pick-up from Hanauma Bay at 1:30 pm.
(3) Pick-up from Waikiki at 10:15 am and pick up from Hanauma Bay at 3:00 pm.
Special from May 1st to Aug 31st: Pick up from Waikiki at 6:00 am and pick up from Hanauma Bay at 9:30 am.
Please look for a white van. Call 808-306-3393 if the van has not arrived within 10 minutes of your scheduled pick-up time.
The drive from Waikiki to Hanauma Bay takes about 25 minutes. Transfer into the park is only 8 people at a time. You may have to wait your turn to enter. Once inside you will have to wait to be assigned a video time. After the 15 minute video you will be able to snorkel. Your entry time may be about an hour after your pick-up time.
- There is a steep but paved access road that everyone must walk up and down for 5 minutes to get to the bay.
- Parties of 8 or more please be aware only 8 people can be transferred into the park at one time. If you have more people, some will be required to wait outside the gates.
- Special Notes:
- Lockers are available for rent.
Small Lockers are $8.00
Large Lockers are $10.00
Above rates subject to change without notice.
- Operation Days:
- Open daily except Tuesdays
- Maximum time at the bay is 4 hours
- Sanitized snorkeling gear (mask, snorkel and fins) are provided.